Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Please Catch the Next Wave and Ride Your Board to Shore


I know you know I haven't
loved you.
I always figured
I'd hate you when
these days
came
thought I'd be enraged
to some kind of point
involving knives
blood
mine of course

relax
would you.

but I do have to tell you he didn't crack
a smile
that I could see
but with tender
seriousness
he met my inquiry
with a nearly scientific
reply

oh baby,
oh sugar.


here, let's try this trick with
mirrors
flicks
fingers
shadows
or just watching you
stand still.


But instead I feel
nothing
no time for any
revelations about
us.


out of the corner of
my eye
I saw a young corporal
plugging
the jukebox

out of the corner of my eye
I saw them order my next
one a
double
I swayed
and was caught
and held

in uniform
in unison the union took me deep
into the current
where only the most noble
surfers
venture
in the middle
of the pier
at oceanside
not heeding the warnings
on the loud
speakers:
please catch the next wave
and ride your board to shore


everything I own fits
in ten boxes
ten
envelopes, ten
disks.

I guess I had to be told
again
that nobody deserves
that.



1999

No comments:

Post a Comment